Jan 9, 2011

On foreign accents

When I learned foreign languages as a little girl, my teachers always complimented my accent. They told me I have a very good American English accent, an awesome French accent, and an ok Italian accent (Italian is my fourth language, and definitely not my best; I don't quite like gesturing while speaking too loud, haha). I always thought it was a gift to assimilate the accent so quickly.

In my time in Vegas, I associate a lot (during weekends and breaks, almost daily) with my Argentinian friends. I have come to love their food, expressions, and culture. This week I have spent a lot of time with a friend from Honduras, though, and he keeps pointing out that I speak like a piba, and have almost lost my Honduran accent. My response is: "Better Argentinian than Mexican!", no offense intended.

So, a todos mis ches argentinos y uruguayos, que vivan las empanadas, el mate, y el dulce de leche. Que seamos pendejos por siempre! :D