Oct 9, 2011

Why I like to be a graduate student

As I am in the process of applying for a PhD, I have been deeply pondering about the reasons that make me want to pursue this course of action:

1. I love sleeping 5 hours a day, and dreaming about all the papers I have to read and write once I wake up.
2. I have the pathological need to constantly say: "I don't have money for that."
3. I love the taste of ramen soup and, when I feel like splurging, generic mac and cheese.
4. I don't really think I need to have a social life.
5. Who needs facebook, when there's hundreds of journal articles you can read every day?
6. Carrying 10 books and a heavy laptop in my backpack all around campus really strengthens my core muscles.
7. I love the feeling of hope I get when I hear someone say: "Refreshments will be served"
8. I think the dark circles under my eyes give me a mysterious intriguing look.
9. I no longer live in the real world. My life is as cool as the Matrix.
10. In the end, I just want to be called 'Doctor.'

2 comments:

Christopher Yi said...

Fantastico. Haha. I think I too am conditioned to be very happy any time that I hear "refreshments." sounds like a good life you're going to live for just a few more years.

Grant Lee said...

Dear Doctor,

Love the blog. Very funny!

Grant Lee